1786 pioneers from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware
established the Pleasant Garden Methodist Episcopal
Church, today know as Pleasant Garden United Methodist
Church. People gathered for worship in homes until 1792
when they purchased land. It is the second oldest
Methodist congregation in Guilford County.
Francis Asbury, regarded as the Father of Methodism in
America, visited Pleasant Garden in 1798 and 1800. On
both occasions Asbury stayed at the home of Daniel
Sherwood. Sherwood’s wife, Frances, is buried in the
Pleasant Garden Cemetery and has the oldest legible
marker dated 1806.
Bishop Asbury visited
resident William Field during his 1800 visit to Pleasant
Garden. Field was selected in 1771 and 1774 as one of
the first two representatives from Guilford County to
the General Assembly. Field helped organize the
Regulator movement in Guilford County. During the
Revolutionary War he fought and was captured, along with
most of his regiment, at the Battle of Alamance in 1771.
In exchange for freedom, prisoners were forced to sign
an oath of allegiance to the Crown. Field held to his
oath and remained loyal to the British government. He
organized a Loyalist regiment and commanded several
companies, many from southern Guilford County. At the
Battle of Moore’s Creek Bridge, Colonel Field was once
again captured, and his land confiscated.
William Shannon was
another Pleasant Garden resident who was captured and
had his land confiscated. Following the War, soldiers
could regain their property if they would guarantee
loyalty to the state. Ultimately, William Shannon’s
property, in the heart of town, was returned to him.
1792 - William Shannon
sold one acre of land to the Pleasant Garden Methodist
Episcopal Church, which he helped organize.
– Pleasant Garden opened its first post office in the
home of Fredrick Fentriss. Fentriss was listed as the
first postmaster and the post office was also named
Fentriss. The Fentriss home, on Hunt Road, still stands
as one of the oldest homes in town. Fredrick Fentriss
owned a great deal of property in the community. Our
township was given the name Fentress in his honor,
spelling errors being common at that time.
1869 – Pleasant Garden
Male and Female Academy, sometimes called the Pleasant
Garden Boarding School, was started by the Methodist
Church. It was built where Pleasant Garden Elementary
School stands. Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Ross donated land for
the school. The Ross family dates back to the late 1700s
and are direct ancestors of Governor Jim Hunt.
1876 – The post office
name was officially changed to Pleasant Garden.
1905 – The Boarding
School became Pleasant Garden High School. Fentress
Township residents were among the first in the state to
vote to pay a special tax to establish a public high
1907 – Pleasant Garden
became one of only two state standard high schools in
Guilford County (the other being in Jamestown.) Being
one of only a few accredited schools in the Piedmont
attracted students from Guilford and surrounding
1914 - Dormitories were
built to house students. The girls’ dormitory was
located next to the school. The boys’ dormitory was
about a block to the west. The girls’ dormitory was
demolished in 1954. The boys’ dormitory is today a
private residence on Laurel Knoll Dr.
– First roads into town were paved.
1945 – Eugene D. Idol
was named Superintendent of the Guilford County School
System. He retired in 1959. He had served as principal
at Pleasant Garden for 16 years.
1948 – Boren Brick Co.
& Founders Furniture Co. (now Hooker Furniture Co.) were
established as the two major industries in the town.
1952 – Pleasant Garden
Volunteer Fire Department was organized.
1954 - Pleasant Garden
opened the first public kindergarten in the county under
the leadership of Robert Ayers who served as principal
for 28 years.
1962 – Pleasant Garden
High School ceased operation when several schools were
consolidated to form Southeast Guilford High School.
1962 – Pleasant Garden
Community Center was organized to provide recreational
opportunities for youth and adults.
1997 – The Town was